Believe in Ohio Qualifying and State STEM Plan Competitions and Scholarship Program
Believe in Ohio is a student entrepreneurship program to develop Ohio’s next generation of STEM innovators. Throughout the school year, high school students compete to earn cash awards in local high school STEM Commercialization Plan and STEM Business Plan Competitions. The highest rated plans in the local high school competitions may compete in Regional Plan Competitions.
The one hundred highest scoring regionally judged plans, with representation from each region of the state, will each receive a $1,000 scholarship to any Ohio college or university, or technical center, and will also be entered into the Believe in Ohio State STEM Commercialization Plan and STEM Business Plan Competition, at which hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional scholarships will be awards.
Note: The Ohio Academy of Science will retain scholarship funds for future distribution for those not needing the money in the year of their award. If the student does not attend an Ohio college or university, or technical center, and instead enrolls in an out-of-state institution, any scholarship that they may have earned will be forfeited. Scholarships will only be paid for attending any public or private Ohio college or university, or technical center.
All students who register for either the February or June 2022 qualifying competition are eligible to compete
BiO Pitch Video Competition Details
- Producing the Pitch Video is optional – it will not affect the judging of any
- Commercialization Plan or Business Plan
- A total of four (4) Pitch Video’s will be recognized with a $2,500 scholarship ($10,000 total)
- Teams must do the video together, with each teammate participating
- Registration for the June Qualifying Competition opens on May 8
- Registration for the June Qualifying Competition closes on June 3
- June 3rd will be the last day to complete all registration requirements for the June Qualifier
- June 3rd will be the last day for February Qualifiers to link their Pitch Video. The February Qualifiers will be able to access their STEM Wizard accounts on May 8
- The video cannot exceed 2:00 minutes
- Key elements for judging have been included (click here to see the judging rubric) – it’s about the quality of the pitch, not the production value of the video
Watch this short video to learn more about the elements of an